Seasons for Growth
Seasons for Growth is a robust educational programme from Australia, helping people of all ages to process experiences of trauma, loss and grief.
Seasons for Growth has been running successfully In NZ for over 20 years, and the licence is with Archbishop Cardinal John Dew. It works on the peer support principal and reflects St Mary MacKillop’s call: “Never see a need without trying to do something about it.”
Participants appreciate the peer group setting for safe sharing of their experiences and the discovery of their own resources in the grief process in response to
- Family break up
- Natural disaster
- Loss of home
- Effects of illness changes in the workplace
- And more
Seasons for Growth is available through Catholic Social Services.
For information, please contact:
Katrin Eickhorst (Trainer/Coordinator), 021 374 405, email@example.com https://www.facebook.com/Seasons-for-Growth-ADW
- Adult small group program: peer support program in 6-8 consecutive sessions
- Adult seminar: 2.5 hr workshop
- Adult parent program: For parents supporting children through crisis.
- Children and Young People’s program (ages 6-18): 8 sessions in agreement with schools and youth groups on application
Plans for 2022:
Training courses (tbc):
- February 22-23: companion training for adult programs (Hutt Valley)
- March 21-24: companion training for Children and Young People’s Programs (Levin) and companion reconnector
- April 5-6: companion training for Children and Young People’s Programs (Wellington)
- April 26-27: companion training for adult programs Kāpiti/Levin
- May 9-13: companion training and reconnectors (Nelson and Westport)
- May 25: reconnector Wellington/Hutt Valley
- July 12-13: companion training and reconnector (area tbc)
- October 17-21: companion training Star of the Sea (South Island)
- November 22-23: companion training/reconnector Children and Young People’s program (Kāpiti/Horowhenua)
Adult small group program (tbc):
- 6 consecutive Sunday afternoons in April/May
- Weekend in August
- 5hr workshop for up to 20 participants on application
Adult parent program:
- For parents supporting children through crisis.
Children and Young People’s program:
- 8 sessions in agreement with schools and youth groups on application
How does it work?
Trained adult ‘Companions’ facilitate the small group program in between four to eight sessions. According to safeguarding procedures, companions need endorsement by an agency, school or parish. They attend a two-day training course with an accredited trainer and receive subsequent supervision and accreditation to deliver the program.
“Having other people with the same problem to talk to has really helped” (participant, 12 yrs)
“The Seasons for Growth training has helped me to realise the impact that change and loss can have on kids’ behaviour at school” (Teacher)
“It was such a relief to know I wasn’t going mad, I was grieving, and that that is normal” (adult participant)
“I love the course! I think it will be excellent to enhance our students’ wellbeing.” (Learning Support Coordinator, training participants)
Seasons for Growth offers much satisfaction in “accompanying one other” (Call No 10, ADW Synod 2017) for participants and for companions and “Catholic Social Services” is looking for volunteers to help as companions.
For further information, please refer to contact above.